Monday, November 10, 2014

CKS

This morning at assembly, I asked our students what CKS means to them. I had a variety of answers including the obvious, "Christ the King School," the altruistic, "Caring, Kind, Spirited," and the odd, "Castles, Knights, and Serpents." Other than the response from the child who still had Halloween on the brain, most of the children had some form of the first two. 

When I am asked by parents what CKS means to me, I tell them our mission: to inspire each child to grow in the love of Christ, the joy of knowledge, and the spirit of service. Simply put, CKS stands for Christ, Knowledge, and Service. This week we kick off our annual food drive, and our goal is to bring in over 10,000 food items for those in need in our community. It is fitting that we will also celebrate Veteran's Day this week and honor the service of our military. I challenged our students to honor the service performed by these heroes by bringing in food and performing a service to the poor. 


As we continue to "embrace patience" this quarter, performing acts of service can help us better appreciate the gifts God has given us, especially as we see what others have done with less. In his letter to the Phillipians thanking them for a gift, St. Paul wrote, "It is not that I am eager for the gift; rather, I am eager for the profit that accrues to your account." St. Paul was speaking of a Spiritual account. This week, while our students deposit items to fill the food banks, I am confident they will feel the Holy Spirit depositing Peace into their lives.  





8th Graders Organizing Food Items from Day 1

No comments:

Post a Comment