Monday, February 1, 2016

Comic Schools Weeks

Pardon my pun. We are actually in the midst of Catholic Schools Week. The national theme (which I think they heavily borrowed from our CKS mission statement) is Communities of Faith, Knowledge, and Service. I hope a Catholic education enables our students to recognize a problem in our world, have the compassion to take faithful action, and the knowledge to create a solution. These problems can be big or small. Below is a problem one of our third grade students shared with our assistant principal and his solution which is featured below her commentary:

Third grader Ben Withers had a great idea!  He wanted to create a comic book that could entertain his fellow CKS students.  So, he asked his teacher, Ms. Moroney, if he could create one.  She thought it was a neat idea and encouraged him to talk to Mr. Tanis and Mrs. Lowrey.  Ben came to visit the office with a huge smile as he "pitched" his comic book plan: "I know there will be animals," he told me, "specifically a moose!"  I encouraged him to come up with a draft and share it when he was finished.  A few days later, Ben proudly came to visit me with Book 1 of his comic.  You can check out his work outside of the administrative offices!  Way to go, Ben!




No comments:

Post a Comment