Monday, October 17, 2016

The CKS Difference

As I enter my 5th year at CKS and we prep this week for PTC on Thursday, I am reminded of one difference between my experiences in public and private school -- PTC night.  It was called PTSA in public school and the purpose was the same, foster collaboration between parents and teachers, but that is where the similarities stopped. I think our PTC nights are unique, even among private schools.  Mrs. Lowrey and teachers on our staff who have come from other schools will tell you how impressed they are by our PTC night.

Here are my top three things that make our PTC meetings the best thing to do with your Thursday Night:

Teachers 

You may be thinking to yourself, "I just met the teachers on Friday, do I really need to see them again on Thursday?" PTC night is more than just a meeting, our teachers use it as an opportunity to showcase the work they have been doing with our students over the quarter. This is your opportunity to see your child's work, leave them a note and do a quick check-in of the classroom.


Attendance

During my tenure in public school, our quarterly PTSA meetings averaged around 30 people. Other private schools often hold meetings during the day, averaging even less people. In many cases this makes the meetings more of a formality than an event. We strongly encourage our parents to attend and use PTC as a night to communicate important information. It is easy to become overly focused on the happenings of only the grades in which your children are enrolled. PTC allows us to communicate the bigger picture and vision for our school.


Fellowship

I won't make any assumptions, but I think our strong attendance may be influenced, slightly, by the refreshments we serve--you'll have to show up Thursday night to if you want more detailed information!  We serve adult refreshments because this encourages fellowship and that is really what we try to accomplish at PTC.  This fellowship is necessary to build the strong relationships essential for a successful school.

I am convinced we have something very special here at CKS -- the only other time there are lines this long on campus is at the Carnival beer tent!

I thank you for your continued partnership and will see you this Thursday night!
Classroom visitation begins at 6:45 pm; meeting begins at 7:30 pm in the McLoughlin Center.



No comments:

Post a Comment