Monday, March 2, 2015

Living the Stations


Last Friday I attended the living Stations of the Cross performed by our CKS students. As I was prayerfully reflecting before it began, I realized I couldn't remember the number of Stations of the Cross. I thought 10, but when the 10th station started I knew  that wasn't right. I figured that guess was probably inspired by the number of Commandments.  I then thought 12 must be the end. I felt confident at the conclusion of that station but was quickly proved wrong when the 13th started. I realized, again, I was confusing biblical numbers, and 12 is better suited for apostles or tribes of Israel. My wait was over after the completion of the 14th Station. If you need a refresher, these are the 14 Stations as listed at http://www.loyolapress.com/stations-of-the-cross.htm:


1. Jesus Is Condemned to Death.
2. Jesus Takes Up His Cross.
3. Jesus Falls the First Time. 
4. Jesus Meets His Sorrowful Mother. 
5. Simon of Cyrene Helps Jesus Carry the Cross. 
6. Veronica Wipes the Face of Jesus. 
7. Jesus Falls a Second Time. 
8. Jesus Meets the Women of Jerusalem. 
9. Jesus Falls the Third Time. 
10. Jesus Is Stripped of His Garments.
11. Jesus Is Nailed to the Cross. 
12. Jesus Dies on the Cross. 
13. Jesus Is Taken Down From the Cross. 
14. Jesus Is Laid in the Tomb. 

More important than the number, though, is the journey they represent. These 14 snapshots from Jesus’ condemnation to death on a cross also represent different parts of our lives and faith journey. Lent is a fitting time to reflect on the Way of the Cross. Over the next few weeks, leading up to Holy Week, I challenged the students to pick one Station of the Cross each week, reflect on what it meant for Jesus, what it means in their own lives, and how it can help them better love God. I plan to make this journey with our students, and I will update you the next few weeks on my progress. 

No comments:

Post a Comment