Monday, September 21, 2015

Called to Holiness

With Pope Francis' arrival to the United States this week, I can't help but think how we are all called to holiness. Mostly, though, it makes me reflect about how to define holiness to our students. So often we think of holiness as something reserved for Jesus, Mary, and the saints. That is not the case, though. Holiness is responding to God's love by the way we live our lives.

I recently received notes from the teachers about some of our students who have responded to the challenge of "being a light" and are reflecting God's love in a positive way for others. Here a few of my favorites: 

1) "Caroline recognized the good in another student. She came up to me during class and told me how quickly and quietly a classmate prepared for class. This was a skill I had been working on with the student. Caroline wanted to make sure I recognized him." 

 2) "Santino voluntarily gave the money he brought for an ice cream treat at lunch to the mission representatives for the collection at school mass." 

3) "Every morning Ian walks the track to take care of some younger boys who need the help of an older buddy. He does this willingly and joyfully." 

There are many more examples of students who help a classmate, clean up the classroom without being asked, or show kindness to another student. We are blessed at Christ the King that our students are responding to God's call to holiness. They are being a light to others and setting an example for the rest of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment