Monday, September 7, 2015

What Do You Say to a Principal?

As a school principal, I have heard just about everything you could imagine--good, bad, ugly, unbelievable, and inspiring! The audience that never disappoints and the one I enjoy hearing from the most are the students. Here are the three best things I have heard from students so far this year:

1) Walking by a table of EC4 students in the cafeteria, I saw one boy lean over to another, and I heard him whisper, "We better behave; there's the boss." I might have also heard this walking by a group of teachers in the lounge.

2) Sitting with some new CKS moms at our Lioness Luncheon last week, one mom told me how her son reminded her that he could wear a college t-shirt to school on Friday. When she asked him who said that, he replied "You know, the guy who wears the walkie-talkie, the king of the world." While I haven't officially been given a crown, nor do I think I'd really want one, the students can sure make you feel like a king when you walk around campus.

3) Standing next to a 5th grader in the morning carline, she turned and asked if I liked being the principal. I told her that I did. She commented that I must have to work a lot of hours. I told her that I did. Wisely, she then said, "Don't forget to take time and play with your sons. They probably want to play with you because you're a cool Dad." What else could I say, but "Thanks!"

As we celebrate Labor Day today, and the contribution of all workers to our country, let's not forget to take time for our family and for God each and every day.

Thanks for the reminder, Mia!

No comments:

Post a Comment