Monday, February 27, 2017

I Heard It Through the Grapevine...

I am sure most of you know that last Friday we celebrated our Grandparents and Special Friends at CKS. This event highlights, for me, the biggest strength of our school community, family--and it is quite a large family! We received RSVPs for just over 400 guests and were happy to entertain over 550 guests who came for the event. An event of that size cannot happen without help, and 45 volunteers showed up to make this happen under the direction of our Advancement Office--Danielle Welsh and Ali Campbell, along with our Chairpersons--Cheri Morales and Carolina Curran. If the smiles of our guests were any indication, our volunteers created a memorable event for our visiting grandparents and special friends.








Here are the top three things I overheard from our guests on Friday:

"The Food was Amazing"

From my own experience with my grandparents, if you keep them fed you keep them happy! We certainly did that. I am not sure how many schools can list a professionally trained chef as an employee, but we are so lucky to have one at CKS. Wendy Hartmann prepared all of the food for the event and the rest of our amazing staff--Sheila DeLoach, Ann Mosher and cafeteria manager, Carol Laratta--came in on their day off to help. 

"I Loved the Program"

If you have somehow managed NOT to see our admissions video, take a quick moment and view it here. We showed this to our grandparents to give them a glimpse of a day in the life of a CKS student. Mrs. LeFloch also worked with our Kindergarten and 1st Grade students to perform a few songs from their performances--who can resist those precious faces and voices. We also gave our guests a preview of our upcoming middle school musical, Godspell Jr, which impressed everyone with passionate singing. 

"You Know, I Went to School Here" 

More than just a school family, we are a multi-generational school family. Events like this remind me how intertwined our school is within the lives of our families. Some of our grandparents attended CKS as students, sent their children to CKS and now have grandchildren attending here--one family has been involved with the school in one way or another for over 40 years. However, I found most impressive a man who rushed over to me during the event to tell me that he was an altar boy at the first ever mass at Christ the King (which was actually held at the Academy). 

I feel blessed to be a part of this school community.



No comments:

Post a Comment